Back then in 2006, Microsoft released “Windows Essentials”. Windows Essentials is a discontinued suite of Microsoft freeware applications that includes email, instant messaging, photo sharing, blogging, and parental control software (Wikipedia).
Windows Essentials 2012 included:
- Windows Movie Maker
- Windows Photo Gallery
- Windows Live Writer
- Windows Live Mail
- Windows Live Family Safety
- OneDrive desktop app for Windows
In 2017, Microsoft stated they no longer offering the Windows Essentials 2012 suite for download, but if you already have it installed, it will continue to work as it does today. It reached end of support on January 10, 2017, and it isn’t available in Windows 10.
Many people really like Microsoft’s Movie Maker to create homemade movies, because it was simple and fairly easy to use.
The only problem is – Microsoft doesn’t offer it anymore, and many websites offering free downloads of Windows Movie Maker are not offering sanctioned Microsoft products. You should be cautious as these products may contain viruses or hidden costs.
Windows Movie Maker Download
In order to download and install Windows Movie Maker (Windows 7), you first need to install Windows Essentials (2012).
- You can download Windows Essentials 2012 using this link.
- After downloading Windows Essentials 2012, run the installer.
- When it asks you “What do you want to install?”, choose “Choose the programs you want to install”.
- Uncheck everything except “Photo Gallery and Movie Maker” and click “Install”.
- You have now the good old Windows Movie Maker installed.